There are two kinds of people: people who love picking out birthday cards and people who don't. This post is for both groups. The average household purchases thirty individual greeting cards per year according to the Greeting Card Association. That's a lot of cards! No wonder people become overwhelmed when looking for birthday card ideas. Don't sweat it. We can help.
While we think every Lovepop speaks for itself, we know crafting a wonderful message for your Lovepop note can get your mind in a twist!
But fret not, we prepped Happy Birthday starters for every kind of card — for messages that have you LOL-ing or wiping a tear from your eye, keep on reading!
Tips for Writing Birthday Wishes
1. Plan ahead
You know lots of people. You know them because they were born. They are going to have a birthday. Every year. Super obvious, right? It might sound ridiculous but for some reason I always find myself frantically searching for just the right card at the last minute. Why do I torture myself? The chances are that I am not alone.
Why not plan in advance and have cards on hand for the most special people in your life? Start small so you aren't overwhelmed. Check out the following birthday card ideas to help you get ahead of the busy birthday season.
Make a list of five people whose birthdays you do not want to miss Purchase the cards in one fell swoop
Organize the cards by order of birthday
Address and stamp them
Keep them in a dedicated location, so you remember where they are when you need them
Set phone reminders for one week prior to each birthday
Put a card in the mail and repeat
- Alternatively, buy, schedule and send cards online. This will make sure the cards will get to the right people at the right time. Easy!
2. Know your audience
Take some time to think about who you are giving the card to before you sit down to write a message on a birthday card. Is the birthday girl or boy the type who counts down to their birthday for weeks before the big day? Or is your loved one more subdued and toned down? Is the card for a family member or business associate? Taking the time to think about the recipient and how he or she celebrates their special day will give you some clues about appropriate messaging.
Different birthdays call for different messages. Turning 31 is a far different experience than turning 50. Reflect on the recipient's life stage and think about some key events he or she might be looking forward to during the upcoming year. Use those as a starting point for your message.
4. Consider tone
A humorous and heartfelt message is usually appreciated but might not always be the best choice. Consider whether the recipient of the birthday card is looking forward to another year or life or is apprehensive about getting older. Joking with someone about being as old as the crypt keeper might sting if he or she is struggling with the concept of age.
What to Write in a Birthday Message
Sincere Birthday Wishes:
- Sending a special wish full of love, warmth, and lots of hugs. Happy Birthday!
- May all your birthday wishes come true. Happy Birthday!
- I hope you have the wonderful birthday you deserve. To this new year, and many more.
- To more sweet memories and many happy returns. Happy Birthday!
- Congratulations on another year well spent. Wishing you happiness and success for the next 365 days. Happy Birthday.
Romantic Birthday Messages:
- Happy Birthday to my most favorite person.
- May your birthday be as sweet as you.
- To my favorite gift every day of the year. Happy Birthday.
- You mean so much to me and I am so grateful to celebrate
- Another year has gone by and far too quickly. I'm thankful that I get to adventure through this life journey with you by my side. Happy Birthday.
- My favorite moment in history was the day you were born. Without you, my heart would still be searching for its home.
- I could write forever & never have enough time to list everything I love about you! You deserve the best birthday ever.
- Life looks brighter when you're around! Thank you for bringing sunshine & love into my life. Happy Birthday!
- Happy birthday to my queen! I'll celebrate you endlessly because you're the most royally wonderful woman I know. Love you!
- I wanted to write a love song for your birthday, but I would be singing forever. There are infinite things to love about you.
You're my favorite person & I can't wait to make this the best day ever! I love you!
- Today I am thanking my lucky stars that you were born. You make my life brighter. Happy birthday, love!
Inspirational Birthday Messages:
- You deserve the best of everything because you give the best to everyone around you. Happy Birthday!
- It's a new year of your life's journey, and I hope you reflect on the beauty, joy, and meaning that life has brought you so far.
- May today feel like your personal New Year's Day. Make a resolution, throw some confetti, or just drink lots of champagne!
- You work so hard to pursue your dreams. I hope you will see the fruits of your labor this year. You deserve the finest that life has to offer!
- Each candle on your cake represents a year's worth of wisdom and memories. Now, that's something to celebrate!
- You may be getting older but your humor will always be timeless. Happy Birthday!
- Birthdays are good for your health. Studies have shown that people who have more birthdays live longer.
- Happy Birthday from your truest friend who knows your REAL age. (But would never tell!)
- I got it from my Mama: Total awesomeness! I hope you have a wonderful birthday!
- Happy birthday, dad! Can you tell the story about riding dinosaurs to school again?
- Even if you weren't my only sister, you’d probably still be my favorite! Happy birthday!
- Happy birthday to my brother from another mother!
- 9 out of 10 women get their awesomeness from their aunt! Happy birthday, Auntie!
- We’ve been friends so long that I can’t even remember which one of us is the bad influence. Happy birthday!
- I’m glad you were born. My life would be totally boring without you!
- Blow out your candles already so I can eat some birthday cake please!
- You've aged like fine wine. Now let's drink some. Happy Birthday.
- Happy Birthday! Love, Your Birthday Wish Come True
- Happy Birthday! Enjoy this day and don't eat too much cake without me.
- Came for the good cake, stayed for the great love. Happy Birthday!
Heavenly Birthday Messages:
- Heaven is lucky to have you, but I sure do miss you. Happy birthday in heaven!
- Remember those fun birthday celebrations we used to have? I'll be celebrating for both of us today! Love & miss you!
- Life without you is hard. I can't help but miss our fun times, but I know you're watching over me. Happy birthday in heaven, man!
- If I had one wish today, it would be to see you again. I wonder what your birthday wish would be? I hope you are celebrating big, wherever you are. I miss you!
If a loved one is celebrating a birthday without someone special…
- Dad, I can only imagine how tough your first birthday without mom is. We're holding her in our hearts & grateful for the gift of this special day with you. Love you!
- I know this birthday is painful because it's the first one without (name). I am here for you & hope that you will find simple joys and make precious memories today. Hugs!
Birthday Messages to Mom & Dad
- You're always available when I need guidance, wisdom, advice, or encouragement. Thank you for being a gift to me every day of my life. Happy Birthday!
- Mom, when I was small, I felt special because your eyes lit up when I entered the room. Come to think of it, they still do. I hope you feel as valuable as you make me feel. Happy Birthday!
- Dad, thanks for teaching me how to laugh, care for others, and make the most of every moment. I hope today feels special!
- Remember that time we got lost in the middle of nowhere? Yeah, I never want to do that again. But I love making memories with you, Dad. So here's to many more! Happy Birthday!
- Our relationship hasn't always been the easiest for either of us, but I hope you know I love you, Dad. Happy Birthday!
Birthday Messages to Son & Daughter
- You used to call me "hero," but now you're mine. I admire how brave, strong, and tender-hearted you are. Happy birthday, son!
- Happy Birthday! We're so proud of all that you've accomplished this year & all the joy you bring to our family. We're so lucky to be your parents!
- It seems like yesterday you were throwing rocks into mud puddles. Oh wait, it was! I hope you always make time for life's simple pleasures. Happy Birthday!
- We know growth brings change, and we want you to know that we'll love every new version of you. Happy birthday & cheers!
- You were our dream come true when you were born, and we're so proud to see your dreams coming true. Happy birthday, son!
- You remind me of everything lovely in the world. You bring beauty, joy, and love to our family & the world. Keep shining!
- I remember when you took your first steps, and now I get a front-row seat as you conquer the world! Happiest Birthday, sweetheart!
- Growing up is exciting, and I know you're happy to *finally* be another year older! I hope your birthday wishes come true!
- I hope your birthday is as sweet as you are. We're so thankful for you & hope this is your best year yet. Love you, baby girl!
- Watching you grow has been my life's most beautiful adventure. I'm always here to support you! Happy Birthday!
Birthday Messages to Nephew & Niece
- Happy birthday, sweet girl! I hope your day is lovely & your future is bright.
- I remember you running around in a Cinderella dress. Then, I blinked & you grew up! Don't forget to wish upon a star; I know your dreams will come true!
- Don't forget: You're the strongest girl in the world! Today, let's celebrate all that you have overcome so far. HBD!
- Happy birthday to my favorite "little girl." I can't believe how much you've grown, though I adore who you're becoming.
- Happy Birthday! I think you got all the most promising genes from me. You're welcome.
- Hakuna Matata! I hope you have a cheerful & worry-free birthday!
- Happy birthday to my favorite nephew. I hope we stay close through your angsty teen years! I feel proud to see you growing up.
- Enjoy these carefree years before everything goes downhill. Just kidding, bud. Happy Birthday!
- I think you've leveled up! Is that what the kids are saying these days? I hope you get to play video games all day long.
- Congratulations! You have been making the world cooler for (number) years. You are remarkable!
Birthday Messages to Grandchild
- Happy birthday, (name). Keep brightening the world with your smile. I'm so proud of you!
- I can't wait to make new memories together as we celebrate your birthday. Let's do all your favorite things!
- You put the grand in granddaughter/son! I hope your day is abundant with joy. I love you!
- The first time I saw you, I had a feeling we would be great buddies! But, boy, was I right! You are truly amazing!
- Having a grandchild like you is a blessing. We love you so much & pray for the best for you this year. Happy Birthday!
Birthday Messages to Husband & Boyfriend
- Happy birthday, babe! You've worked hard & accomplished a lot this year, and I'm grateful for your compassion & laughter. I love you & the life we've built together.
- I am so proud that we've grown together and supported each other for all these years. Happy birthday to the man who deserves it the most!
- The past year has had its highs and lows, but you made it! I hope this new year will be easier on you than the last one. Happy B-day!
- Cheers! There are lots of joys to celebrate today: you were born & you're aging like the finest wine! I'm so lucky you're mine! Happy birthday, love!
- If all we need is love, then you are all I need. Thanks for being the most compassionate & caring boyfriend. I hope you feel extra loved today!
- Even though we're far apart, I'm with you in my heart. I hope you treat yourself (oh, and check the mail). Happy Birthday!
Birthday Messages to Wife & Girlfriend
- You're the light of my life, and I'm so thankful to live by your side. You are brilliant, my love. May every single wish come true!
- I've had many business partners, but you are the best one by far: my life partner. You're amazing! Happy Birthday!
- I feel so lucky to get to grow older by your side. You're wiser, more beautiful, and the most inspiring you've ever been. I love you!
- You honestly deserve the best birthday (and life) ever! There's no one more deserving. Love you!
- We have albums of wonderful memories behind us, but the best moments remain ahead. Cheers to the best yet!
- I hope today is full of beautiful surprises, like the many ways that you amaze me with your love.
- May all your birthday wishes come true! I can't think of anyone more deserving. Happy birthday, love!
- Happy birthday to the sweetest & most beautiful woman in the world! I'm so lucky to call you girlfriend and can't wait to spoil you today.